7 Things You Need To Know About The Dissertation Defense Structure
When it comes to creating a dissertation defense, it is useful to know how to structure will work. In fact, there are various things that you should know about the presentation as a whole, with seven points outlined below.
- You will have a set time limit with which to present the work
- Your defense will likely be improved if you include handouts to complement the rest of the structure
- You can learn more about how a good defense should be structured by attending those of your colleagues
- A good presentation will not include cluttered slides
- You should structure the work so that people can concentrate on you
- The structure should follow a logical beginning, middle and end
- You should be prepared to answer questions once you have given your defense
Finally, you will most certainly have to onset a variety of questions once you have given your presentation, so prepare some answers beforehand.
Firstly, you should be aware that you will almost certainly have a set time limit with which to present the work. Therefore, it is important that you use an appropriate structure that will allow you to present a balanced defense within the time that you have.
Whilst you will most likely be using PowerPoint to give your presentation, you can still use handouts to complement the rest of the structure of the work. In fact, this can be particularly useful if you have any complex issues that you need people to look at.
Of course, in order to get a better idea of how to structure your defense, it is a good idea to attend those of your colleagues, if possible. You can then see what works and what doesn’t work, and it can help to give you confidence for present your own work.
A good presentation will include logically ordered slides that are not full of clutter. Essentially, you want to impart as much information to the audience as possible, which is best done with orderly slides.
A good way of ensuring that people are able to concentrate whilst you are doing your defense is to ensure that you are structured things in such a way that you do not allow people’s attention to be distracted. Therefore, if you are trying to speak, and you do not want people to be reading what is on the slides, then be prepared to have blank slides in your presentation, so that people can concentrate on you.
It sounds obvious, but your structure should have a logical beginning, middle and end. When checking the work, ensure that this is the case.